Complaints Procedure


We make every effort to provide a friendly and professional service to all our patients. However, if you have any concerns about any aspect of our service, please let any member of staff know.


Making a complaint

Many concerns can be resolved informally by speaking to us when the problem arises.  This may be the approach you may wish to try first and gives us the opportunity to fix things quickly. 

However, we understand that you may wish to make a more formal complaint.  You can do this, preferably in writing, as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days. In any event, this should be:

  • Within 12 months of the incident,
  • or within 12 months of you discovering that you have a problem.

State your case clearly giving as much detail as you can. If you are a registered patient you can complain about your own care. You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority – see further details below.


Complaining on behalf of someone else

We are bound to keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality.  This means that we are unable to discuss any issue relating to someone else without their express permission and will  require their written consent to confirm::

  • the patient is unhappy with the service they have received from us and wishes to raise a complaint
  • gives authority for a third party to raise and deal with the complaint on their behalf
  • understands and gives authority that in the process of dealing with the complaint may result in medical information being discussed with the person who is acting on their behalf.
  • In the event the patient is deceased, then we may agree to respond to a family member or anyone acting on their behalf or who has had an interest in the welfare of the patient.

A Third party consent form (link below) will need completing which contains a suitable authority from the pateint to enable the complaint to be handled by a third party on their behalf. 

Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness, accident or mental capacity, please provide details.

If you are complaining on behalf of a child or young person who is capable of making their own complaint, we will expect that child or young person to contact us themselves to lodge their complaint.


Who to complain to

The Practice Manger and Deputy Practice Manager are the persons responsible for Complaints at Station House Surgery.  You can contact them:

What we do next

  • We will provide an initial response to acknowledge a complaint within 3 working days after the complaint is received and indicate the timeframe in which you can expect a response from us.
  • You may then receive a formal reply in writing, or should you wish, you may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned to attempt to discuss the mattere.
  • If the matter is likely to take longer than this, we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses.
  • When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this, and make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if you would like to do so.
  • When the investigations are complete your complaint will be determined and a final response sent to you.
  • Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g. social services) we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with.

 If You Are Dissatisfied with our response

You have the right to approach the Ombudsman. The contact details are:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
Tel: 0345 0154033

Other Useful Contact Details

The Customer Care Team
NHS England
PO Box 16738
B97 9PT
Tel: 0300 311 2233 (Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm, excluding Bank holidays)

Advocacy Access

This service offers advocacy support with any NHS or Social Care related issue or complaint.

54 Blackburn Road
Tel 0345 456 3210
Text phone 07886 744634
Fax 0300 323 0966


Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

For advice and information or suggestions and concerns about health service provision in the Morecambe Bay Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust you should contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01539 795497

Independent Advice

If you would like independent advice to make a complaint about any NHS service, please speak to your local independent complaints and advocacy service through:

  • Citizen’s Advice Bureau on 0844 477 2020